Tuesday, May 1, 2012

The Thing About Your 20's...

When I was in my teens envisioning my 20's, I sort of envisioned days spent at Central Perk with my good friend Phoebe or something. We'd have glamourous jobs that we got paid a ton of money to do, that didn't require much time away from the company of our friends, or the coffee shop. 

When I wasn't entertaining that vision, I was entertaining one of being married with kids. Surely, we would have at least 3 by the time I reached 26. We would buy a 5 bedroom house that sat on a lot of land in the perfect family oriented community accompanied by large shady trees and white picket fences. I would drive my dream mommy car. My husband's job was fancy, and he loved it. In my vision he comes home every night singing because his day was just amazing. We would take family mission trips annually to wherever we felt led by the Lord. When I wasn't attending dance recitals and soccer games, or out working hard in the missions field of course, I would be a writer for some sort of popular publication. I love my job because I do what I love, the pay is great and I work from home.

The hard thing about your 20's is letting go of all the things you envisioned and letting God write the story that he has envisioned. The reality of it all is, rarely in your 20's do you have it all figured out and your still finding your stride in this thing called life. 









I've asked around and have been told by people whose opinions I value immensely that their 20's were some of their most trying times. As they got older and wiser life actually became better. They found they were ridded of insecurities concerning the opinions of others, comparing lives etc. They became more rooted in thier communities, and they became more financially established.


Right about now all of these things sound lovely. As we find ourselves in a quarter life crisis of another transition period in finances etc- We are smack dab in the middle of the growing pains that are sometimes accompanied by your 20's and Phoebe and the coffee house are nowhere in sight! 


Instead God has put us on this journey. A path that only he knows the glory to follow. I am excited about this path, even when it scares the holy guacamole out of me. I wouldn't have it any other way.  I am so thankful that He is the answer to our every question & insecurity. Without him the rest of my 20's might be spent in our local and loco looney bin.  You think I am kidding don't you?! 


Looking forward to fine lines & wrinkles!
Yours truly,
Sarah

















3 comments:

  1. Well done! I so appreciate your deep thoughtfulness about the seasons of life. You say meaningful things while keeping us laughing. It is a gift to ponder these times, instead of be ruled by them. Your continued thankfulness to God for every situation is always to His glory and to your benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Never did I think my twenties would be as challenging as they have been. I've often thought about documenting my twenties and writing a 'how to survive' book. However, I first need to fully survive my twenties... and I still have a few years until I can proudly state my survival of the 'twentysomethings' haha.

    ... this crazy journey I am on with my hubby far surpasses the one that I would have picked for myself. This journey is much richer, fuller and a tad bit more uncomfortable ;)

    And though I hate my struggle with anxiety and the messiness it brings along, It's my battle and I know I'm not fighting alone.

    Many blessings to you and your family as you continue to navigate your twenties :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a new follower - love this post!

    http://joanna-dan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete